MATH 640B, Winter 2003
from the fall quarter.
in the spring quarter.
- In 640B (call number 06589) we will cover
numerical approximation of functions, differentiation, and
integration, which are chapters 6 and 7 in the text. If time allows,
we will cover part of chapter 10 (Linear programming) or chapter 11
In 640C we will learn how to solve ordinary and
partial differential equations.
Martin J. Mohlenkamp,
(740)593-1283, 554 Morton Hall.
Monday 3-4pm, Tuesday 2-3pm,
Thursday 11-12am, and Friday 10-11am.
- Web page:
- Class hours/ location:
- MT(W)HF 1:10-2pm in 135 Clippenger.
Numerical Analysis: Mathematics of Scientific Computing,
3rd edition, by David Kincaid and Ward Cheney,
- There will be weekly homework
assignments. Late homeworks are penalized 3 points for each 24 hour
period or part thereof.
You are strongly encouraged to work together, but you must acknowledge
any help you receive.
Homework will be a mixture of paper and pencil problems and
programming. Having your programs work is essential, but style and
proper commenting also count. I will support Matlab and C, but you
can use another language if you prefer.
Each week one problem will be designated a
Good Problem, and will
be graded partly on presentation.
- The final exam is on Tuesday 18 March at 12:20pm
in the regular classroom.
- Based on homeworks 65% and the final exam 35%.
Grades are not the point.
- I will not count attendance, but you need to attend in order to
learn. Academic dishonesty will be considered as
professional dishonesty and harshly punished.
- Special Needs:
If you have specific physical, psychiatric, or learning disabilities
and require accommodations, please let me know as soon as
possible so that your learning needs may be appropriately met.
- A sample LaTeX file, samplelatex
- A sample of latex with figures incorporated:
latexfig.tex and the sample figure
- LaTeX help 1.1
- Ohio University Matlab Central.
- Local Matlab Quick Reference
and Survival Guide
MATLAB Help Desk.
- Random web
Introduction to MATLAB,
MATLAB Summary and Tutorial, and
A Practical Introduction to MATLAB.
- Homework assignments and handouts:
- Homework 1 (.pdf) is due Friday January 10.
- Homework 2 (.pdf) is due Friday January 17.
- Homework 3 (.pdf) is due Friday January 24.
- Homework 4 (.pdf) is due Friday January 31.
- Homework 5 (.pdf) is due Friday February 7.
- Homework 6 (.pdf) is due Friday February 14.
- Homework 7 (.pdf) is due Friday February 21.
- Homework 8 (.pdf) is due Tuesday March 4.
- Homework 9 (.pdf) is due Thursday March 13.
Martin J. Mohlenkamp
Last modified: Mon Jun 2 11:50:59 EDT 2003